Hi everyone! I know it’s been a while, I barely know how to start writing. I will write a Peru update and ending sometime in the near future (I hope lol). Well as you can see Matthew and I have moved to Bangkok, Thailand aka the “Land of Smiles”. But if we tell a taxi the district in Bangkok that we live in we usually get a good laugh and have to ask few more taxis for a ride to Bang Mot. We are teaching at a school called DSIL, which teaches using the Constructionism theory (read more here http://www.idealist.org/view/org/gtTkMbcbZGBD/ ). I’ll be teaching 9-10 year old kids, and Matthew will be teaching middle school aged kids. Tomorrow is the first day of school wish us luck!
My first impressions of Bangkok:
- People are very nice and helpful
- It’s a bustling city with lots of people, cars, and places – very dense
- The temples and wats (schools for monks) are beautiful
- A huge theme in the culture is respect, kindness, and not confronting others
- There are mega malls everywhere, Thai’s must love shopping
- There is a huge obsession with technology – there are video games and computers for you to use in the malls
- People are also appearance conscious – in the Central Rama 2 mall near us there are about 20 or more beauty spas for weight loss, skin treatments, hair, and/or beauty in general
- Thai food is great, but don’t let anyone tell you it’s all healthy there’s fried stuff everywhere too.
Overall it’s a really amazing place. I’m looking forward to making new friends, meeting my students, traveling in and around Thailand, learning more about the culture, and enjoying my experience here.
More pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151038717747927.426619.599187926&type=1&l=a6d0d69eb8