Hi everyone! I know it’s been a while, I barely know how to start writing. I will write a Peru update and ending sometime in the near future (I hope lol). Well as you can see Matthew and I have moved to Bangkok, Thailand aka the “Land of Smiles”. But if we tell a taxi the district in Bangkok that we live in we usually get a good laugh and have to ask few more taxis for a ride to Bang Mot. We are teaching at a school called DSIL, which teaches using the Constructionism theory (read more here http://www.idealist.org/view/org/gtTkMbcbZGBD/ ). I’ll be teaching 9-10 year old kids, and Matthew will be teaching middle school aged kids. Tomorrow is the first day of school wish us luck!
My first impressions of Bangkok:
- People are very nice and helpful
- It’s a bustling city with lots of people, cars, and places – very dense
- The temples and wats (schools for monks) are beautiful
- A huge theme in the culture is respect, kindness, and not confronting others
- There are mega malls everywhere, Thai’s must love shopping
- There is a huge obsession with technology – there are video games and computers for you to use in the malls
- People are also appearance conscious – in the Central Rama 2 mall near us there are about 20 or more beauty spas for weight loss, skin treatments, hair, and/or beauty in general
- Thai food is great, but don’t let anyone tell you it’s all healthy there’s fried stuff everywhere too.
Overall it’s a really amazing place. I’m looking forward to making new friends, meeting my students, traveling in and around Thailand, learning more about the culture, and enjoying my experience here.